Skip to main content

Week 3 Story: The Forbidden Flower



I walked around the palace gardens, blissfully taking in the bright sun, light breeze, and soft grass. But my favorite part of the gardens has always been the abundance of flowers in it. Every day, I came out and picked a bouquet from the various stems and bushes of tulips, roses, daisies, petunias, lilies, and carnations. Today,  I walked around on my daily walk selecting the most beautiful flowers I could find. As I reached the center of the garden, I came upon a single orchid. I pass by this flower every day, but have strict orders from my father-in-law that I must never touch this flower. I never questioned him, but rather just admired the flower's beauty every time I walked past.

As I selected a red rose, the finishing touch for today's bouquet, I was approached by one of the palace workers. He came up and said," Princess, why is the orchid not a part of your bouquet? I see you admire it every day, and yet you never pick it." I replied, "The king has told me that I must never touch this flower. It is poisonous, and if I pick it, I will die." "But princess, the king is lying. He only does not want you to pick the flower because everyone will realize how beautiful you are when you are holding it, and he wants the people to admire only him. You deserve a flower that is as beautiful as you, and this is the only flower in the garden that's beauty even comes close to yours." I contemplated what he said, and every time I thought through what he said, it became more and more true. The worker was right. I did deserve a beautiful flower. Everyone in the kingdom would realize how beautiful I am I if I hold this flower. I turned back to the center of the garden and pulled out my shears. I added the orchid to my bouquet and called my husband out to the garden. I handed him the bouquet and I knew he was immediately captivated by it too, forgetting about his father's former warning.

Moments later, the king ran outside, fuming. He yelled, "How could you have completely ignored my warning! I have told you that if you touch the forbidden flower, you would die. However, I am a just king and will only give you each a punishment." Turning to me, he said, "Since you were the one you picked the flower, you will be subject to a life of being ruled by your husband and you will be stuck in this palace until you die." He turned to his son and said, "Because you went along with your wife's disobedience, you will take on difficult tasks around the palace and constantly have hard work." He finally turned to the palace worker and said, "You are the one responsible for the wrongdoing that has taken place, so there will always be a divide between you and the royalty you serve and you will be a lowly worker within our kingdom."



Author's note: I chose to retell the story of the fall of Adam and Eve. In the original story, a serpent convinced Eve to eat fruit that God has told her not to eat. She then convinces Adam to eat the fruit too. As punishment, God subjects Eve to have a painful pregnancy and to be ruled by her husband, Adam to have a difficult time living from the land, and the serpent to be a lowly creature and to have a divide between it and humans. I chose to change the setting from the Garden of Eden to a palace garden to show the story has become a universal, timeless tale. For this same reason, I chose not to give the characters Adam and Eve are based on. I changed God into the king/father in the story, both because he is considered the king of the universe and because he is the father, especially to Adam. I wanted to change the two main symbols of the story: the serpent and the fruit. The serpent became the palace worker to show that deception can take many forms, and the fruit became the flower to show temptation can take many forms.

Story Source: King James Bible (1611): Genesis 3

Orchid by nuzree. Source: pixabay 

Comments

  1. Wow, awesome story! I think changing the characters and plot to this really worked well!

    Also, your author's notes really helped solidify some theories I made while reading. Your changes we're very thoughtful and clever, keeping the same story and theme while still giving a fresh, new take on an old classic.

    Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't read any of the biblical choices for the readings these two weeks, so it was nice to read and adaptation to one of them! I really liked your spin on the story. You gave a good amount of imagery, dialogue, and description to introduce what you were talking about. Well done! (It's a yes from me!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved your story! The plot was entertaining, and your choice of words provided a lot of imagery. You're right the Forbidden Fruit story has become very universal. Your adaptation works very well and it was a very clear story, as well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shea!
    I really enjoyed your version of Adam and Eve! Changing the characters but having them represent the same things, deception and temptation, was really clever! As soon as you mentioned the character being forbidden from touching the orchid, I became so curious to find out why. Your author's notes were extremely helpful in connecting your story to Adam and Eve, and showed how creative you were with coming up with the idea! I wonder what would have happened if the husband told his wife to return the flowers, or if the palace worker turned on her and reported the incident to the king himself. Did the palace worker want to get the woman in trouble, or was he trying to be nice when encouraging her to take the flower? I am also curious to know more about the husband's personality and how he felt about the forbidden flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your version of the story! I didn't even recognize the original in your version, so you did a great job. The details and imagery were very well done. Great job & keep up the good work! I do agree with Jessica, it would be good to know the palace worker's motivation for telling the princess to cut the flower in your version of the story, but we do know the original story and the serpent's motivation so I guess that carries over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shea! I really like your take on this classic biblical story. At first I thought it was going to be a Beauty and the Beast tale so when I reached probably around the 3rd paragraph, where the single Orchid and the Gardener were introduced I was pleasantly surprised. Knowing the story from Sunday school it was a great deviation and refreshing take on it while it still gives the saem message. One thing that I wish you would have done is to move away from the misogynistic views of the king and not blame the woman as much for the mistake.

    - Anna Margret

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Visit my Storybook to read my stories and then leave comments here! Constellation from  Max Pixel

Introduction to Shea "Campus Involvement" Penning

Hello! My name is Shea Penning and I'm excited to meet you! I am a junior majoring in Advertising and minoring in Italian. I was born in Texas, have lived in Nevada and California, and was raised in Edmond, Oklahoma. I don't know exactly what I want to do once I graduate, but right now I think I'd like to continue my education at a portfolio school and study graphic design. One of my favorite parts of college has been getting involved on campus! I got involved in Soonerthon Exec my freshman year in the Ambassador (aka fundraising) committee. I joined the same committee the next year as a team captain. If you are unfamiliar with Soonerthon, it is OU's official philanthropy for the Oklahoma City Children's Hospital Foundation and ends with a huge dance marathon in March. Last year, we raised over $1 million FTK (For the Kids)! Picture of me at Soonerthon 2018. Personal image. Soonerthon falls under Campus Activities Council, which is the programming branch

Week 13 Story: Leopard Cake

There once was a little boy who lived with his mother and father. The little boy was celebrating his birthday, and his mother asked him what type of cake he wanted. The little boy said he wanted a cake shaped like a leopard. The mother put the cake in to bake and told the little boy, "Your father and I are going to the market. Keep an eye on the oven while we are gone." The mother and father left, and the little boy sat in the kitchen staring at the oven. He got very bored, and decided to go outside to play. When the little boy got tired, he went inside and found the oven door wide open! He went to the front door, only to see the leopard cake running away! The little boy chased after the cake, but got very tired and had to sit down. The leopard cake kept running and kept running, until it came across two mice. The mice asked, "Where are you going, leopard cake?" The leopard cake responded, "I just outran a little boy. Since I am a leopard, I am faster than