Skip to main content

Week 11 Story: How Flower Stole Sunlight


Long ago, when only plants lived on earth, Redwoods were the only ones who had sunlight. All the other plants wanted sunlight too, but Redwoods were taller than everyone else. They stole the sunlight before it could reached any of the other plants. The other plants lived in darkness and fear but Redwoods refused to share sunlight with anyone else. 

The other plants decided to hold a council to discuss the growing worry they had about living in darkness. Meanwhile, Redwoods held their own council in the light. They set up guards to protect themselves from having other plants try to come take sunlight from them. 

But Flower had taken root near where the Redwoods were having their meeting before the guards set up. While the Redwoods had their meeting, a small bit of sunlight crept towards Flower. Flower hid a little bit of sunlight in its petals and slowly started moving back towards the other plants' meeting. 

Before Flower could escape, however, the Redwoods noticed it trying to leave and started chasing after it. Flower ran and ran, leaving seeds in its path. This is why there are so many flowers near where the Redwoods had their meeting. Redwoods chased after Flower but quickly grew tired. Many stopped during their chase and this is why there is a thick forest of redwoods near the flower field. 

Flower kept running and running until it reached the other plants. Flower shared the sunlight with the other plants, making them all rejoice. Sunlight caused them to grow bigger and bigger and they too were able to live in the light, just as Redwoods had all these years. 

Because Flower was the one to bring sunlight and happiness to the other plants, it became brighter and brighter until it turned yellow. Flower from then on was known as Sunflower. 
Sunflowers by Wenchieh Yang

Author's Note: I chose to base my story on "How Beaver Stole Fire," in which a beaver steals fire from Pine Trees to bring it to the other animals and other types of trees. I chose to use only plants in my story rather than plants and animals like in the original, because I have seen several stories about animals but not many about plants. I wanted to keep the writing style the same as the original story, so I chose to write in short sentences. I also used reasons for why things are the way they are, like Sunflower and why so many flowers and trees line the forest, because the original story did the same thing with other explanations.
Story source: Myths and Legends of the Pacific Northwest, especially of Washington and Oregon, by Katharine Berry Judson (1910)

Comments

  1. Hi Shea!
    I enjoyed reading your story about the flowers and the redwoods. Even though it was short there was still enough details in the short sentences that it did not feel so short. But what if the sunflower and the Redwood trees had names to make it more personal. Or even adding some commentary of one or both of the meetings would be interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shea!
    This was a really fun story! I really liked the talk about the redwoods. I've grown up living near the redwood forrest and they make me feel so nostalgic. I think the story could have used more commentary or dialogue. Overall, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shea! I really enjoyed reading your story! I like the changes that you decided to implement into your version of the story compared to the original. Reading your author's note helped me understand the story a little better because I hadn't read the original yet. I also like your sunflower picture you included. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shea! I have not really seen any stories that only involved plants so I found it very refreshing (i guess that is the right word) to see a story about some new subject matters. The way that you give the flowers human characters kind of reminds me of the talking flowers in Alice in wonderland! The story flow is really good and it was an easy and entertaining read.

    - Anna Margret

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Shea! First off, I have to say that I really enjoyed reading your story and seeing how you took the original version and made it into your own story. I have not really read stories that are about plants, so I found yours really new and interesting. The flow of the story is great and I think you definitely have a very unique and fun writing style! Overall, I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Visit my Storybook to read my stories and then leave comments here! Constellation from  Max Pixel

Introduction to Shea "Campus Involvement" Penning

Hello! My name is Shea Penning and I'm excited to meet you! I am a junior majoring in Advertising and minoring in Italian. I was born in Texas, have lived in Nevada and California, and was raised in Edmond, Oklahoma. I don't know exactly what I want to do once I graduate, but right now I think I'd like to continue my education at a portfolio school and study graphic design. One of my favorite parts of college has been getting involved on campus! I got involved in Soonerthon Exec my freshman year in the Ambassador (aka fundraising) committee. I joined the same committee the next year as a team captain. If you are unfamiliar with Soonerthon, it is OU's official philanthropy for the Oklahoma City Children's Hospital Foundation and ends with a huge dance marathon in March. Last year, we raised over $1 million FTK (For the Kids)! Picture of me at Soonerthon 2018. Personal image. Soonerthon falls under Campus Activities Council, which is the programming branch

Week 13 Story: Leopard Cake

There once was a little boy who lived with his mother and father. The little boy was celebrating his birthday, and his mother asked him what type of cake he wanted. The little boy said he wanted a cake shaped like a leopard. The mother put the cake in to bake and told the little boy, "Your father and I are going to the market. Keep an eye on the oven while we are gone." The mother and father left, and the little boy sat in the kitchen staring at the oven. He got very bored, and decided to go outside to play. When the little boy got tired, he went inside and found the oven door wide open! He went to the front door, only to see the leopard cake running away! The little boy chased after the cake, but got very tired and had to sit down. The leopard cake kept running and kept running, until it came across two mice. The mice asked, "Where are you going, leopard cake?" The leopard cake responded, "I just outran a little boy. Since I am a leopard, I am faster than