Skip to main content

Story Lab: TedEd Videos: Style

In the videos from TedEd about style, the speakers explore creative writing and style found in famous authors' writings and in mythology.

One of the videos I found most interesting is the videos about what makes something "Kafkaeqsque." I have heard of Kafka, and think I have even read some of his work, but did not know about his unique style. Kafka focuses on the convoluted absurdity of modern bureaucracy. He calls attention to the unnecessary complexness of administration, but also calls attention to how this can potentially be changed in the future. His style became so unique and recognizable that it was named after him.

I also really enjoyed the video "How to Write Descriptively." This video talks about how to make each word count and how to add layers to make writing more description. Through this video, I learned to focus on each of the different senses I want to invoke in my writing. I should choose certain words depending on if I want to focus on sight, sounds, taste, touch, or smell, or a combination of these. This will help readers connect with my writing and feel like they are in the story.

Writing by Tookapic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Visit my Storybook to read my stories and then leave comments here! Constellation from  Max Pixel

Introduction to Shea "Campus Involvement" Penning

Hello! My name is Shea Penning and I'm excited to meet you! I am a junior majoring in Advertising and minoring in Italian. I was born in Texas, have lived in Nevada and California, and was raised in Edmond, Oklahoma. I don't know exactly what I want to do once I graduate, but right now I think I'd like to continue my education at a portfolio school and study graphic design. One of my favorite parts of college has been getting involved on campus! I got involved in Soonerthon Exec my freshman year in the Ambassador (aka fundraising) committee. I joined the same committee the next year as a team captain. If you are unfamiliar with Soonerthon, it is OU's official philanthropy for the Oklahoma City Children's Hospital Foundation and ends with a huge dance marathon in March. Last year, we raised over $1 million FTK (For the Kids)! Picture of me at Soonerthon 2018. Personal image. Soonerthon falls under Campus Activities Council, which is the programming branch

Week 13 Story: Leopard Cake

There once was a little boy who lived with his mother and father. The little boy was celebrating his birthday, and his mother asked him what type of cake he wanted. The little boy said he wanted a cake shaped like a leopard. The mother put the cake in to bake and told the little boy, "Your father and I are going to the market. Keep an eye on the oven while we are gone." The mother and father left, and the little boy sat in the kitchen staring at the oven. He got very bored, and decided to go outside to play. When the little boy got tired, he went inside and found the oven door wide open! He went to the front door, only to see the leopard cake running away! The little boy chased after the cake, but got very tired and had to sit down. The leopard cake kept running and kept running, until it came across two mice. The mice asked, "Where are you going, leopard cake?" The leopard cake responded, "I just outran a little boy. Since I am a leopard, I am faster than