Skip to main content

Week 9 Story: The Headmaster of White Lotus Academy


There once lived a headmaster who oversaw the White Lotus Academy, a school for young wizards. The headmaster was a powerful wizard, and many students hoped to learn from him.

One day before going out, he told a group of students to watch over a small wooden box for him.

"But you must not open it," the headmaster told them.

They promised they would not before he left. Not long after, the students' curiosity got the best of them and they open the top of the box. Inside, they found a small toy car. To pass the time, the students played with the car but made sure it was back safely before the headmaster returned.

When he got back to White Lotus Academy, the headmaster burst into the room yelling, "Why did you disobey me when I told you to not open the box?"

The students denied that they had ever even touched the box.

"Why then, did my car crash when I was returning?"

The students knew they had been caught, but the headmaster decided to give them another task to let them redeem themselves.

"Sit by my fireplace and make sure the fire does not go out," the headmaster instructed.

He left, and several hours later, he still had not returned. The students were tired of adding firewood and decided to take a break. They all fell sleep, but woke up and realized the fire had gone out. They relit the fire soon before the headmaster showed up.

He entered the room yelling, "I cannot believe you have disobeyed me again. Because you let the fire go out, I had to walk back in the cold."

One particularly brave student said, "If you are really such a powerful wizard, then why can't you stop your own students from disobeying you?"

All the other students paused, waiting for what the headmaster would do. But he did nothing.

The next day, the headmaster sent the disobedient student to clean the grounds. As the student scrubbed the stone gargoyles that adorned the front of the academy, the headmaster turned the student into a gargoyle himself.

A few weeks later, the student's father showed up, saying he had not heard from his son in a while and was worried about him.

"Sir, I can assure you your son is well. In fact, right now he is off studying," the headmaster asked when the father entered his office.

The father felt better, but was stopped by a group a students on his way out. In hushed voices, they told him what had really happened.

Enraged, the father decided to go tell the Director of Wizardry what had happened to his son at White Lotus Academy. The director sent guards to bring the headmaster and his assistants to the Department of Wizardry to be properly punished.

The guards got the sorcerer and his assistants into their car, and they began the journey. They soon were stopped, however, by a dark cloud in the middle of the road.

"That is the Dark Spirit of the Mountain. My assistants know how to get rid of it. Let them out of the car so they can save us," the headmaster said.

The guards followed his instructions, but the first assistant was consumed by the dark cloud as soon as he took a step toward the spirit. The second assistant tried, but was also consumed. The headmaster said that he would try, as his magic was more powerful than anyone else. But he too was consumed by the dark cloud the moment he left the car. The dark spirit immediately disappeared, and the guards realized they had been tricked by the headmaster.

Author's Note: I decided to write a story based on "The Sorcerer of the White Lotus Lodge." In this story, a sorcerer gives a few tasks to students and they disobey him. For their first task, they are ordered to watch a covered bowl and not touch it. They, of course, remove the cover to find a small ship and touch it. The sorcerer returns and tells them his ship capsized. He then tells them to watch a candle and make sure it does not go out. It does, and the sorcerer tells them he had to walk in the dark. One students insults the sorcerer, and he turns the student into a pig and sends him to a butcher. The student's father finds out and tells the district mandarin, who then tells his supervisor. They send soldiers to take the sorcerer, his wife, and their son to the capital to be imprisoned. On the journey, the are stopped by a giant who eats the sorcerer and his family, and the soldiers realize they have been tricked. I decided I wanted to set my story at a school; reading about the father showing up to figure out what happened to his son made me think of a teen mystery. I realized I needed some way to incorporate magic, though, for many of the events of the story to happen, which is why I decided to set it at a wizard school. 

Cloud from pxhere

Story source: The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).


Comments

  1. Shea I really love your version of the story! I've not read the original, but your version is so cool! It's very Harry Potter-like, which I of course love! The student's father reminds me so much of Malfoy's dad and of course the headmaster in your story, that sounds just like something Dumbledore would do. Great version of the story & I can't wait to read more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shea, I thought your story was very interesting. Like the commenter above mine, I also found it very Harry Potter-esque. While I did not read the original story you referenced yours off of, your author's note was able to describe what happened in the original and the parts you took from it very well. Overall, I found your story interesting to read and I enjoyed your writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Visit my Storybook to read my stories and then leave comments here! Constellation from  Max Pixel

Introduction to Shea "Campus Involvement" Penning

Hello! My name is Shea Penning and I'm excited to meet you! I am a junior majoring in Advertising and minoring in Italian. I was born in Texas, have lived in Nevada and California, and was raised in Edmond, Oklahoma. I don't know exactly what I want to do once I graduate, but right now I think I'd like to continue my education at a portfolio school and study graphic design. One of my favorite parts of college has been getting involved on campus! I got involved in Soonerthon Exec my freshman year in the Ambassador (aka fundraising) committee. I joined the same committee the next year as a team captain. If you are unfamiliar with Soonerthon, it is OU's official philanthropy for the Oklahoma City Children's Hospital Foundation and ends with a huge dance marathon in March. Last year, we raised over $1 million FTK (For the Kids)! Picture of me at Soonerthon 2018. Personal image. Soonerthon falls under Campus Activities Council, which is the programming branch

Week 13 Story: Leopard Cake

There once was a little boy who lived with his mother and father. The little boy was celebrating his birthday, and his mother asked him what type of cake he wanted. The little boy said he wanted a cake shaped like a leopard. The mother put the cake in to bake and told the little boy, "Your father and I are going to the market. Keep an eye on the oven while we are gone." The mother and father left, and the little boy sat in the kitchen staring at the oven. He got very bored, and decided to go outside to play. When the little boy got tired, he went inside and found the oven door wide open! He went to the front door, only to see the leopard cake running away! The little boy chased after the cake, but got very tired and had to sit down. The leopard cake kept running and kept running, until it came across two mice. The mice asked, "Where are you going, leopard cake?" The leopard cake responded, "I just outran a little boy. Since I am a leopard, I am faster than