Skip to main content

Week 7 Story: Wolf, Pig, and Owl


Pig lived in a brick house and baked a pie every day. One day, Wolf walked by and smelled the wonderful scent of a pie wafting down the road.

Wolf stopped by Pig's house and peered into the kitchen window.

He said to Pig, "Give me that pie."

Pig replied, "No, I will not give you this pie. I am excited to eat it and do not have time to make another."

Wolf said, "If you don't give me the pie, I will huff and puff and blow your house down."




Pig had seen Wolf blow down the houses of the other two pigs and was afraid of Wolf blowing his house down. Pig handed Wolf the pie through the window.

The next day, Wolf stopped by Pig's house again and demanded Pig give him the pie he was making that day. Day after day, Wolf stopped by Pig's kitchen window and took the pie Pig baked that day.

Owl was flying by Pig's window and could hearing sobbing coming from the kitchen.

He stopped by and asked Pig why he cried.

Pig sobbed, "Wolf takes my pie every day and I no longer get to eat my pies. If I do not give him my pie, he will blow down my house."

Owl said, "Pig, you are so foolish. Wolf is not strong enough to blow down your brick house."

The next day, Wolf stopped by for his daily pie. He was surprised to look in the window and see Pig eating the pie that was supposed to be his!

Pig told Wolf, "Owl has told me that you cannot blow down my house. You cannot take my pies anymore because you have no way of threatening me."

That night, Wolf went to the forest and saw Owl perched on a tree. Wolf crept up, intending to attack Owl.

Before he could leap, however, Owl saw Wolf and flew away. 

Wolf returned night after night to attack Owl, but Owl always saw him coming and took off flying. 

Wolf watched angrily every night as he saw Owl fly by in front of the light of the moon. And that is why Wolf howls at the moon. 


Author's Note: I based my story on "Jackal, Dove, and Heron" from the South African Folktales unit. In this story, Jackal takes Dove's children by threatening to fly up to her and steal them. After Heron tells Dove that Jackal cannot fly, Jackal breaks Heron's neck, which is why herons' necks are bent. I wanted to keep the same basic story, but change the characters that appear in the story. When I read about Dove being scared of Jackal coming to her home, I thought about the story of the 3 Little Pigs and how they were scared of the wolf coming into their homes. I decided to combine the two stories, but still needed an animal to take the place of Heron. I chose to use Owl because owls are known for their wisdom and I could use Owl to explain something about animals, like the original story does. I also decided to change Wolf's goal from Jackal's goal of eating children, because I though it was sad that Dove sent her children to their death pointlessly. 

Story source: South African Folk-Tales by James Honey (1910)

Top Image: Pie by Zozz_
Bottom Image: Pig by herbert2512

Comments

  1. Hi Shae, I really like how you combined the story of “Jackal, Dove, and Heron” with “The Three Little Pigs.” I think this created a really unique story. I wonder if providing more context/detail at the end would be beneficial? Maybe you could describe the emotions/events that make the Wolf angry. Also, I did find one minor error: I think you meant to say “saw” instead of “say” in the following sentence. That night, Wolf went to the forest and say Owl perched on a tree. Wolf crept up, intending to attack Owl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shea! You really put a twist on the original story with combining it with a well known story. I loved how you incorporated the two stories and really told a story of your own. It was really fun to read and it makes me excited to see what else you have in store for us to read! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shea, I thought that your version of the story was absolutely great! I really like how you added the wolf and the three pigs into your version, it really made me able to relate to the story more because I have heard that story so many times. Overall I thought your story was really great, keep up to good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Shea!
    This was a very clever adaption to the original story and the pictures really helped add to the story. I enjoyed reading it and it felt like there were many clever plot points that you added in yourself to keep me engaged! Looking forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pictures you used but the pie one now has me craving hot apple pie with ice cream! Haha! This was a really cute version of the story and I loved it! I don't think I've read the original, but yours sounds much cuter. It reminds me of the Three Little Pigs, but with more depth to it. Reading several of your stories today, you really have a gift. Love your work & keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Shea! First off, I have to say that I really enjoyed reading your version of this story and seeing how you decided to put your own spin and personality into the original version. I have never read the original version, but after reading yours I think I have a good idea of what it is about and what goes on. Also, I am now wanting an apple pie after looking at the pictures you included! Overall, I think you did a really good job on this story and I look forward to reading more from you as this semester goes on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Visit my Storybook to read my stories and then leave comments here! Constellation from  Max Pixel

Introduction to Shea "Campus Involvement" Penning

Hello! My name is Shea Penning and I'm excited to meet you! I am a junior majoring in Advertising and minoring in Italian. I was born in Texas, have lived in Nevada and California, and was raised in Edmond, Oklahoma. I don't know exactly what I want to do once I graduate, but right now I think I'd like to continue my education at a portfolio school and study graphic design. One of my favorite parts of college has been getting involved on campus! I got involved in Soonerthon Exec my freshman year in the Ambassador (aka fundraising) committee. I joined the same committee the next year as a team captain. If you are unfamiliar with Soonerthon, it is OU's official philanthropy for the Oklahoma City Children's Hospital Foundation and ends with a huge dance marathon in March. Last year, we raised over $1 million FTK (For the Kids)! Picture of me at Soonerthon 2018. Personal image. Soonerthon falls under Campus Activities Council, which is the programming branch

Week 13 Story: Leopard Cake

There once was a little boy who lived with his mother and father. The little boy was celebrating his birthday, and his mother asked him what type of cake he wanted. The little boy said he wanted a cake shaped like a leopard. The mother put the cake in to bake and told the little boy, "Your father and I are going to the market. Keep an eye on the oven while we are gone." The mother and father left, and the little boy sat in the kitchen staring at the oven. He got very bored, and decided to go outside to play. When the little boy got tired, he went inside and found the oven door wide open! He went to the front door, only to see the leopard cake running away! The little boy chased after the cake, but got very tired and had to sit down. The leopard cake kept running and kept running, until it came across two mice. The mice asked, "Where are you going, leopard cake?" The leopard cake responded, "I just outran a little boy. Since I am a leopard, I am faster than