Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Ancient Egypt, Part B



"The Tale of King Rhampsinitus" tells the story of a king named Rhampsinitus, who creates a chamber for his wealth. He has builders construct a stone chamber near his palace. One of the workers put in a stone in a way that allowed it to be taken out and put back in without anyone noticing. The worker realizes he is close to dying, and he tells his sons about the stone so they may go into the chamber and take treasures from the king. One night, the two sons entered the chamber and stole some of the riches. The king realizes someone has stolen from him, but does not know how. He places traps throughout the chamber to catch the thief. When the brothers go back, one enters first and is caught in the trap. Realizing he would be killed the next day if just left there, he also tells his brother he should cut off his head so his body will not be identified. The escaping brother does as the trapped one says, and leaves with his head. The king again returns to the tomb and is confused by how two people have entered and one has escaped. To go back to get his brother's body, the surviving brother gets the guards drunk and grabs the body. The king wants to know who is smart enough to enter his chamber and escape, so he sends his daughter to find out who this man is. She gets the man to confess to robbing the king; she tries to grab him, but instead grabs his brother's body's arm, which is hidden under his robe. The king sends out a message, saying he just wants to know who is cunning enough to rob him and whoever comes forward will not be punished. The man reveals himself to the king, and because the king is so impressed, he gives his daughter to him as a wife.


Story source: Egyptian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie (1907)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Visit my Storybook to read my stories and then leave comments here! Constellation from  Max Pixel

Introduction to Shea "Campus Involvement" Penning

Hello! My name is Shea Penning and I'm excited to meet you! I am a junior majoring in Advertising and minoring in Italian. I was born in Texas, have lived in Nevada and California, and was raised in Edmond, Oklahoma. I don't know exactly what I want to do once I graduate, but right now I think I'd like to continue my education at a portfolio school and study graphic design. One of my favorite parts of college has been getting involved on campus! I got involved in Soonerthon Exec my freshman year in the Ambassador (aka fundraising) committee. I joined the same committee the next year as a team captain. If you are unfamiliar with Soonerthon, it is OU's official philanthropy for the Oklahoma City Children's Hospital Foundation and ends with a huge dance marathon in March. Last year, we raised over $1 million FTK (For the Kids)! Picture of me at Soonerthon 2018. Personal image. Soonerthon falls under Campus Activities Council, which is the programming branch

Week 13 Story: Leopard Cake

There once was a little boy who lived with his mother and father. The little boy was celebrating his birthday, and his mother asked him what type of cake he wanted. The little boy said he wanted a cake shaped like a leopard. The mother put the cake in to bake and told the little boy, "Your father and I are going to the market. Keep an eye on the oven while we are gone." The mother and father left, and the little boy sat in the kitchen staring at the oven. He got very bored, and decided to go outside to play. When the little boy got tired, he went inside and found the oven door wide open! He went to the front door, only to see the leopard cake running away! The little boy chased after the cake, but got very tired and had to sit down. The leopard cake kept running and kept running, until it came across two mice. The mice asked, "Where are you going, leopard cake?" The leopard cake responded, "I just outran a little boy. Since I am a leopard, I am faster than