Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Adam and Eve, Part A


In the story of the fall of Adam and Eve, a serpent asks Eve why she has not eaten from the garden of Eden, to which she replies that God has ordered her not to or she will die. The serpent tells her that God does not want her to eat the fruit because it will give her knowledge and wisdom. Eve knows the fruit looks good, and eats it with her husband, Adam. After they eat it, their eyes are opened to their surrounding and they become self aware. God returns to the garden to find Adam and Eve hiding in embarrassment of their nudity and he realized they have eaten the fruit. God curses the serpent by making it a lowly animal and creating a divide between it and humans, woman by giving her a painful pregnancy and having her husband rule over her, and man by making it difficult for him to live from the land until his death.

The serpent and the forbidden fruit have become popular symbols. The serpent has come to represent deception, evil, etc. The fruit has come to represent sin, desire, etc. In my retelling of this story, I would like to replace these objects with others symbols that have similar connotations.

Eve is characterized as naive for listening to the serpent, rebellious for eating the fruit when God has told her not to, and submissive once God has decided his punishment for her. Adam is characterized as weak for going along with what his wife has told him to do, but later God says he will rule over his wife. The serpent is sneaky, deceptive, evil, and sinful for persuading Eve to eat the fruit and lying to her about God's intention.

The story takes place in a garden and I imagine there is fruit everywhere. It is stated that there are other trees with fruit that Adam and Eve can eat; they are only banned from eating the fruit of the middle tree. Since the fruit of the center tree is special, I picture it is radiant, perfect fruit. This would be more tempting to Eve and would make it easier for the serpent to persuade her to eat it.

Story Source: King James Bible (1611): Genesis 3
The Fall of Man by Titian. Source: Wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Visit my Storybook to read my stories and then leave comments here! Constellation from  Max Pixel

Introduction to Shea "Campus Involvement" Penning

Hello! My name is Shea Penning and I'm excited to meet you! I am a junior majoring in Advertising and minoring in Italian. I was born in Texas, have lived in Nevada and California, and was raised in Edmond, Oklahoma. I don't know exactly what I want to do once I graduate, but right now I think I'd like to continue my education at a portfolio school and study graphic design. One of my favorite parts of college has been getting involved on campus! I got involved in Soonerthon Exec my freshman year in the Ambassador (aka fundraising) committee. I joined the same committee the next year as a team captain. If you are unfamiliar with Soonerthon, it is OU's official philanthropy for the Oklahoma City Children's Hospital Foundation and ends with a huge dance marathon in March. Last year, we raised over $1 million FTK (For the Kids)! Picture of me at Soonerthon 2018. Personal image. Soonerthon falls under Campus Activities Council, which is the programming branch

Week 13 Story: Leopard Cake

There once was a little boy who lived with his mother and father. The little boy was celebrating his birthday, and his mother asked him what type of cake he wanted. The little boy said he wanted a cake shaped like a leopard. The mother put the cake in to bake and told the little boy, "Your father and I are going to the market. Keep an eye on the oven while we are gone." The mother and father left, and the little boy sat in the kitchen staring at the oven. He got very bored, and decided to go outside to play. When the little boy got tired, he went inside and found the oven door wide open! He went to the front door, only to see the leopard cake running away! The little boy chased after the cake, but got very tired and had to sit down. The leopard cake kept running and kept running, until it came across two mice. The mice asked, "Where are you going, leopard cake?" The leopard cake responded, "I just outran a little boy. Since I am a leopard, I am faster than