Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Metamorphosis-Pygmalion


In the story Pygmalion, the title character creates a statue of ivory and falls in love with it. He prays to the gods to have the statue as his bride, and Venus, the goddess of love, hears his prayer.  She brings the statue to life for Pygmalion. He and the statue later have a son named Paphos. The story serves as an explanation for how the city Paphos got its name.

I think it will be important to keep the basic story structure the same in retelling it: a man creates an inanimate object, falls in love with it, and it is brought to life. I think it would be interesting to have the object changed in my story, though, possibly either by changing the material the statue is made of or changing it to an entirely new object, such as a painting.

The characters in the story all serve important roles, so I plan on keeping them all the same. Pygmalion is the reason the story has its name and is an important character in mythology. Venus is the goddess of love; the reason the statue comes to life is essentially because Venus loves love. It would not make sense to change the character that brings the statue to life to someone else or another god. The last character is the statue. Even if I change what the object is, the story centers around Pygmalion falling in love with an object, so it is important to keep this character.

One thing I would like to change in the story is the explanation behind the name Paphos. In the originally story, the explanation for why the city of Paphos has its name is one sentence stating the statue has a son named Paphos. There is no reason given for what the name means or why Pygmalion and the statue chose this name for their son. Also, the story ends very quickly and wraps up in only a few sentences. In the beginning of the story, there is far more description; it would be nice to see this continued throughout to the very end.

Story source: Metamorphoses by Ovid translated by Tony Kline
Pygmalion priant VĂ©nus d'animer sa statue by Jean-Baptiste Regnault. Source: Wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Visit my Storybook to read my stories and then leave comments here! Constellation from  Max Pixel

Introduction to Shea "Campus Involvement" Penning

Hello! My name is Shea Penning and I'm excited to meet you! I am a junior majoring in Advertising and minoring in Italian. I was born in Texas, have lived in Nevada and California, and was raised in Edmond, Oklahoma. I don't know exactly what I want to do once I graduate, but right now I think I'd like to continue my education at a portfolio school and study graphic design. One of my favorite parts of college has been getting involved on campus! I got involved in Soonerthon Exec my freshman year in the Ambassador (aka fundraising) committee. I joined the same committee the next year as a team captain. If you are unfamiliar with Soonerthon, it is OU's official philanthropy for the Oklahoma City Children's Hospital Foundation and ends with a huge dance marathon in March. Last year, we raised over $1 million FTK (For the Kids)! Picture of me at Soonerthon 2018. Personal image. Soonerthon falls under Campus Activities Council, which is the programming branch

Week 13 Story: Leopard Cake

There once was a little boy who lived with his mother and father. The little boy was celebrating his birthday, and his mother asked him what type of cake he wanted. The little boy said he wanted a cake shaped like a leopard. The mother put the cake in to bake and told the little boy, "Your father and I are going to the market. Keep an eye on the oven while we are gone." The mother and father left, and the little boy sat in the kitchen staring at the oven. He got very bored, and decided to go outside to play. When the little boy got tired, he went inside and found the oven door wide open! He went to the front door, only to see the leopard cake running away! The little boy chased after the cake, but got very tired and had to sit down. The leopard cake kept running and kept running, until it came across two mice. The mice asked, "Where are you going, leopard cake?" The leopard cake responded, "I just outran a little boy. Since I am a leopard, I am faster than